Thursday, May 26, 2011, 5:30:36 PM, Ian wrote:

IAW> On Thursday, May 26, 2011, at 11:44:28 PM, you (Dwight Corrin) wrote:

DC>> On Thursday, May 26, 2011, 8:15:11 AM, Ian A. White wrote:
DC>>
>>> Even so, the mere fact that a message is in an Outbox should not mean
>>> that it is automatically sent unless it has been scheduled to be sent,
>>> or because the user has done a send queued mail in that account.

DC>> 'Put message in outbox' has always resulted in the message being sent as
DC>> far back as I remember.

IAW> Yes, but only if you had automatic timed sending of queued mail. I
IAW> have never had The Bat! set to automatically send queued mail. As such
IAW> prior to the version that introduced postponed sending, I could (and
IAW> regularly did) have a message that I put in the outbox for days before
IAW> I did a send of queued mail.

Just a couple notes. First, the suggestion I made earlier that you simply not
fill in the To: field is faulty since you can't put a message into the Outbox
without filling in the To: field. Second, I think I know how this works. I had
to wait till I got home to verify, because I pretty much always have something
hanging around in the Outbox (for whatever reason). Right now I'm using version
5.0.8, but I think this has worked  since the 1.x versions because it's just
how I've always configured it. Basically, I do not have automatic send/receive
turned on. I retrieve and send everything explicitly, nothing happens
automatically. I have messages set to be sent "immediately." Therefore, when I
put something into the Outbox using the "Put message into the outbox" button,
it never gets sent. Seems a little counterintuitive, but I think the logic is,
if you click send, it goes immediately. If you put it in the outbox, it never
goes out until you click send.

I hope that is a useful data point!

--
-Sam