Hello MFPA,

Please see my comments, below.

>> I have added a new laptop, and now want to
>> use the desktop for no other purpose than as a
>> dedicated "mail server" so that regardless of which
>> laptop is on site, the  other  laptop  will  be  able
>> to  download and see mail.   (When offsite, either
>> laptop can use webmail to see the mail.)

M> I would think about pointing the Laptop copies of The Bat! to the
M> account settings and mail folder on the desktop PC rather than each
M> having it own copy. But only if all run the same The Bat! version and
M> preferably only one will be used at a time to run The Bat!

Thanks for your suggestion. However, both my wife and I have separate
home offices and we frequently are using mail at the same time.

*   *   *

M> If only one of the three machines will run The Bat! at a time, and if
M> all three are the same version, I would designate the mail folder on
M> the desktop PC where TB! stores all the messages and settings as a
M> shared resource (or map its location as a network drive) and point all
M> three The Bat! installations to the same files.

Well,  as  mentioned above, it's just not possible to have only one of
the  laptops  use The Bat! exclusively at any given time.   Moreover, we each
frequently
leave  The Bat! open on both machines so both machines are running The
Bat! simultaneously a lot.

>> This  scheme  is  designed  to mimic IMAP without using
>> IMAP.   I have tried,  unsuccessfully  to set up IMAP.
>> Other than this one, annoying glitch, my current scheme
>> seems to work ok.   (Well, there is a second glitch
>> in   that   if any mail is downloaded on one laptop, it
>> will not  appear  on  the second laptop (if the laptop
>> is turned on), until downloaded  on  the second laptop.

M> What about if it is downloaded on the desktop PC? This could be
M> scheduled (in Windows scheduler) to periodically open TB!, check mail,
M> and (if wanted) exit TB!.

Perhaps.  Could I schedule  a  download  every five minutes?   And do no
downloading on the laptops at all?

>> However, the mail will then appear in  duplicate  in
>> all  of  my  non-gmail  accounts.

M> Are you already pointing The Bat! on the first laptop to the
M> messagebase on the desktop? If so, shouldn't the message appear when
M> the folder is refreshed? And if you are not sharing a messagebase, I
M> can't work out the messages would duplicate

The  properties  for  each of the accounts appearing on the laptop all
point  to  the  desktop MAIL folder (which is at the root of c: on the
desktop).   While  the  desktop  MAIL folder also has a few additional
accounts  that  I created on the desktop after I set up The Bat! on the
laptop,  and  those  accounts  all have folders inside the MAIL folder
that  I  can  even see while on the laptop,  The Bat! e-mail client on
the laptop does not have those folders.   Is there some lower
level folder on the laptop that also needs to point to the MAIL folder
in  order  to automatically set up a folder on the laptop any time one
is created on the desktop?

M> I suspect gmail ignores any settings to the contrary and deletes the
M> message after first download. (Based on my setting to keep emails on
M> server for several days after download, which is honoured by all
M> except gmail.)

>> Running "delete
>> duplicates" every once in a while gets rid of the
>> duplicates without a whole lot of effort on my part!)

M> This could also be automated in Windows Scheduler so that it takes no
M> effort at all. See The Bat! help file, under "advanced use."

Thanks.   That's a good idea.

--
Avi

Avram Sacks, using The Bat! ver. 5.8.2 on WinXP sp3