Hi

On Saturday 11 October 2014 at 2:35:54 PM, in
<mid:1616191166.20141011083...@charter.net>, Jack S. LaRosa wrote:

> Hello TBUDLs,

> A fruitless telephone session with an ASUS
> representative taught me that I wouldn't be able to
> downgrade this $900 laptop to Win 7 because "there were
> no drivers for Win 7 on the ASUS website."

Unless the box contains bespoke components unique to ASUS, drivers
could probably be sourced elsewhere. Or from the ASUS website by
searching on a Win7 model with similar spec. But still.

> In
> frustration I headed to my local computer guru thinking
> *he* might know where to find the drivers and got about
> halfway there when I remembered something.  I had been
> able to eliminate the display-delay problem by doing a
> "safe" boot.  I turned around and went back home and
> started deleting programs that weren't necessary to the
> operation of the OS.

Good call!

> I used REVO Un-installer to first erase from the
> computer WUALA, a syncing program.  This deletion made
> no difference in the problems with TB.  The next thing
> I deleted was MaAfee firewall/anti-virus (after first
> turning off the WIFI).  Voila!  No more problems with
> TB.

Firewall and anti-virus software can be the cause of various mystery
problems. I have had to switch AV programs two or three times over the
years because an "upgrade" to the AV either would not install on my
system, or else caused it to keep crashing.

> I downloaded & installed AVG anti-virus and turned
> on Windows firewall to compensate for the now discarded
> MaAfee.

If you have a router, that may well incorporate a firewall as well.

> I reloaded WUALA and still no re-occurrence of the problems I had
> been having. Not only was the display-delay problem gone but I was
> then able to successfully register with the key block provided by
> RIT Labs. The same key block I had saved on the original
> installation of v5.2 by the way.

Glad to hear you got it working.

> Curiously, and this may explain why I had been having
> the first 56 characters appear in the registration box,
> when I went to register I copied the key block into the
> clipboard and did HELP/ENTER REGISTRATION CODE and a
> message immediately popped up thanking me for
> registering the program.  I never even had a chance to
> paste the clipboard contents into the registration box.
> Apparently TB fetches the contents of the clipboard
> automatically when you're trying to register the
> program.

Seems odd that TB! would *assume* you had the registration key on the
clipboard. Even odder that it would thank you for registering if it
didn't grab the right length of string.

--
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-gro...@riseup.net

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3