>> I think the main issue is that most people cannot be bothered to
>> encrypt or digitally sign their email, irrespective of ease or
>> difficulty. Being unable to get friends or family members to do so is
>> almost the default.

The main issue for me is, that it is not understandable how it works,
what exactly to do to get it working, and that it does not work intuitive
or even already is implemented in The Bat.
You've really to dive in it.

> As long as everybody tells you that to encrypt mails (with GnuPG or
> other tools) is so complicated nothing will change - you are right.
> But with gpg4win it is now quite simple to enable clients (TheBat,
> Thunderbird, ClawsMail and more) to use GnuPG.

For YOU it may be simple, for ME it is complicated. OK, installing is
easy, but the next steps aren't. Why I need a public and a private
key, and how to configure things in The Bat to get it all working at
writng and receiving encrypted mails.
As I in my previous mails wrote about making two different templates,
you wrote:
     In the  editor window when you edit your message you can
     push the button if you want to sign or / and encrypt the
     message.
THE button? It did not help me. Which button, where to find?
You also wrote:
          send to the keyserver or your mail partners.
Again: Keyserver? Which keyserver? Where? What does it cost?
OK, I was not motivated anymore to put those questions. No need
anymore to answer them.

After I also had made some remarks in Facebook, I've got last evening
a test mail from a guy which included a PGP key. So I reinstalled
temporarily GnuPG but that did not make the mail more readable.
I did not know what to do with that mail first and neither had the
stimulus to find it out.

As I wrote before.....
IF a real step-by step instruction from installing onto having sent
and received enxrypted mail, I may have succeeded. For example,
starting with:
STEP 1:
Open your browser and copy/paste this link in it to call this site:
 https://gpg4win.org/download.html
STEP 2:
Goto the map on your computer where that file is saved and click on it
to install the program:
STEP 3:
While installing your are prompted for .....
etc. etc. going on to send an encrypted mail to someone and receiving
one where all works.

On the other hand, the often made remark RTFM is the right way for me
to drop it.

> But it is true, prejudices are hard do brake.

That is a  thought-terminating cliché, not worth discussing it.

Yet, it is al relative...
For me, working with Adobe Indesign has become easy and understandable.
But in the beginning there was such a step-by-step instruction to get
that program working and an excellent community where I could ask
my 'dummy' beginner questions which were all the time friendly and
easy and instructive answered. That motivated to go on.

OK, further discussion is pointless for me, as I removed all GnuPG stuff
now and am satisfied with VPN.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Gunivortus