Hello Jack,

JSL> could I restore from a 6 month old backup and search for an
JSL> email, then restore from the most current backup to bring me back
JSL> to where I was?
        Basically the answer to your question is yes.

        First I would make a "new current backup" vs one of your
        monthlies. Make sure that backup includes Account Properties,
        Folders with Messages, Address Books, Global Options and
        Attachment Files.

        Then restore only Folders with Messages from your 6 month old
        backup. The will keep account properties, address books and
        global options in sync with your current settings.

        Once you search/find for your missing email decide how you
        want to restore your latest messages from the "new current
        backup".

        1) If you do nothing to the Folders with Messages from your 6
        month old back and restore Folders with Messages from the "new
        current backup" you will probably end up with duplications.
             If you use Folders Remove Duplicates the program may or
             may not remove duplicates. By my experience, many
             duplicates will remain.

        2) If you do #1 and have more duplicates than you like, delete
        all non-standard folders in each account and delete all
        messages in standard folders other than your original missing
        message. That should give you essentially a "blank" TB set-up
        with all of your account properties, address books and global
        options.
                Now if you restore Folders with Messages from your
                "new current backup" you should have everything back
                to where you started plus the missing message.

        I avoid searching for an old message in TB backups, I bcc all
        outgoing and incoming email to a Gmail account that I
        established just for backups. You may want to consider that
        for the future. It's a faster method of recovery.
 Richard                            mailto:the...@newmangroup.com
Using The Bat! v7.4.16.45 (ALPHA) on Windows 10