Hello TBUDL'ers,

A few days ago I received an email from a very dear friend requesting an urgent
favor. She was in need of five gift cards ASAP and couldn't get them herself as
she was suffering from a sinus infection. She is the type of person who would
put herself in the position of needing presents for friends post haste. Her
request was not out of the ordinary. I immediately went to my local CVS pharmacy
and bought five Apple gift cards. Never having done this before I had no idea
how to get them to her. However, her instructions were to photograph the cards
and send her the photographs. Not a problem. I photographed each card separately
and emailed the photos to her by replying to her original request. A grievous
mistake as you'll see.

After a few hours I decided to call her to see if she had received the photos.
As soon as she realized what I had done, she freaked out and said she had been
hacked. Sure enough, when I looked at the sender's email address originally
requesting the cards, it wasn't hers. I had fallen for a spoof email and sent
negotiable photos worth $500 to bad actors.

I immediately called Apple and the agent checked and saw that the cards had not
been used yet so he was able to void all 5 cards. So the cards are no longer
good and cannot be used. Hooray for my side! But I was out $500 and further
checking with CVS Pharmacy and the credit card company (Visa) proved fruitless.
The money was gone and could not be reimbursed. I made a stupid mistake and it
cost me.

Because of this I decided to change the "access password" on my TB! account, not
necessarily out of fear that I might be in danger of hacking as well but more
because I hadn't changed that password in years. After changing the password I
realized I should have changed my email password instead of my TB! account
password. So I put my account password back to what it was originally and
changed my email password. Now every time I try to look at my mail, TB insists
that I enter my account password, after which, everything is displayed normally.
Anyone have any idea how I can get TB! to stop asking for my password every
time?

I all the years I've used TB! this has never happened. Of course in all those
years I've never changed my account password either.

Sometime later still licking my wounds I wondered how idiots like me could be
automatically protected from this type of crime. It occurred to me that if TB!
were to compare all incoming email addresses to my address book, those for which
there wasn't a match could be displayed in red. Agreed, most of them wouldn't
match and would be flagged in red but I wouldn't recognize or care about the
sender anyway. Those would be discarded by me as they always are. But if I did
recognize the sender and their address was displayed in red, I would know
immediately something was amiss. Had this feature been implemented I would have
seen that my friend's address was flagged which would have caused me to check it
and I would have seen that it was not my friend's real address.

If anyone knows how to get TB! to stop requiring my password every time I try to
view my mail I'd sure appreciate knowing the fix. And I'd like to know what you
think about automatically flagging unknown addresses.

--
TIA,
Jack LaRosa

Using TB! 6.0.12