Thursday, August 10, 2000, 2:57:32 PM, Kenneth Porter, wrote:

[...]
>>>From now on,
>>
>>Using the above snippet as as an example, I'd like to ask if anyone
>>knows why this "problem" appears to happen to me so frequently?
>>
>>Does it happen to everyone else?  Please check that message you recently
>>received from Leif and let me know if that ">" appeared in your copy.

KP> I believe that comes from sendmail, and is due to the nature of Unix
KP> mailboxes and spool files. The sequence "<CR><LF><CR><LF>From" is used
KP> to denote the beginning of a message. If this sequence occurs in the
KP> middle of a message, sendmail is obligated to "quote" the "From" to
KP> prevent it from being recognized as a message delimiter.

That's very interesting, Ken.  But shouldn't this show up with
everyone who received that particular message?

It didn't show up in Derek's copy.  How 'bout yours?

I suppose this is the reason, too, that when I redirect a message, the first
line of the header always has that same ">" -- it starts with "From."

>>I think the program is arbitrarily inserting that quote code ">" in
>>there, but I can't figure out why.  It's not a quote, and I don't
>>think Leif typed that ">".

KP> It's not your MUA (TB), it's actually there in the message on the
KP> server.

Whose server?  Mine?  The sender's?

And why haven't I ever noticed this before switching to TB?

It shouldn't make any difference which mail client I use, should it?

Thanks again for your reply, Ken.

--
Joe Finocchiaro
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>