Hello ztrader,

On  Monday, August 28, 2000  at  07:40:48 GMT -0700 (which was 7:40 AM
where I live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] typed:

> For a simple OR function, would we have:

> '[str A]|[str B]'

 I think you may be getting confused here.  You don't need the
 apostrophes or the square brackets.  Just type your strings in.  This
 is why I think the | method for ORing to strings can be ambiguous.

> is it OK to put spaces outside brackets as:

> ' [str A] | [str B] '

 I'm not sure about the spaces.  Again, this is another reason I find
 the | method to be ambiguous.

> (I understand the ' chr is needed - true?)

 False.

z>> This might be the best example to show how complex notation goes in
z>> TB:
z>>>>> (A or B or (C and D and (E or F)))?

> The problem I see here is getting AND and OR to work in a *single*
> expression. How does one do that? Is it possible to write the above as
> a single, one-line expression?

 As far as I know, no.  In a *single* string set, you could only do the
 C and D and (E or F).  See my example in a previous post to this
 thread.

> The suggeston for implementing this split up the parts into simple
> strings that could be entered as AND's or OR's. If one has an
> expression that needs an AND or an OR *within* the string,

 Just be careful here.  You can not have a single string that says
 something like,

 (Tom or Jane) Doe

 Instead you would need to break it up into either

  Tom|Jane AND Doe
 or
  Tom Doe|Jane Doe

> it seems critical to have exactly the right characters ['",etc to
> make it work. I am trying to understand how to include these chrs
> correctly so it works.

 See above.

> Also, I see a box marked "Regular expressions" in the "options"
> section. Does this have to be checked to get any complex expressions
> to work?

 Nope.  Regular expressions are complex, but they are much different
 than the "simple" search strings you've been looking for.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal

 Using The Bat! 1.46 Beta/3