On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 12:29:40AM +0200, Karin Spaink wrote:
> 1. If you move your cursor down in the window in which you are editing your
> mail (e.g. move it down to the next empty line), it goes down but stays in
> the same column (read: horizontal axis) and doesn't go to the beginning of
> the line or the last words in it

[SNIP]

    This is free caret mode.  There is no way to turn it off and no, it isn't
a bug.  I'm sure at least half a dozen people have answered stating that it
isn't a bug, that it cannot be turned off and then have proceeded to tell you
how glorious and wonderful it is.  Quite frankly I wish it could be turned off
two because I find it annoying.  However, since the majority of the people are
wiffing white out on this matter the authors don't appear inclined to do
anything to make the editor behave in a sane manner.

    OTOH, I'm also the one who wiffs markers and wants /no/ editor in the
email client at all because everyone's preferences on the perfect editor are
different.  With no editor the authors don't have to deal with it.  They just
toss the email out to whatever editor the user decides which, in theory, will
behave exactly as they want since they get to choose it.

    What are you wiffing?  :)

> 2. The tab. When I have "auto-format" on - I want to, I like it, I need it

    Paragraphs are generally separated by a CR.  So this next line is not part
    of a new paragraph although this next one is.

    New paragraph.  Of course, I am writing this in vim on Linux launched from
mutt.  IE, an external editor from my mail client which, on this reading,
isn't TB!.  :)

> 3. The cookie file is a great feature and allows for rotating signatures.

    GAAAHHH, Fido-Net flashbacks!!  The horror, the horror!

> The help file is however not too helpful as to the format of the cookie
> file. After some experimenting, I discovered that each entry should have a
> line of its own, no line-breaks, and no empty lines between entries.  But
> the cookies show up in one unbroken line whenever I start composing an
> e-mail or hit reply.  How do you make your cookie-entries wrap?

    \n where you want a newline.

> 4. Although The Bat claims to have "HTML auto view" and while I have Options
> --> HTML auto view on, I get to see all the html-mail as plain text, tags
> included. There is no informationto be found in the FAQ nor in the help
> file. Actually, HTML is not mentioned in the help file at all -- except in
> the description of the new features of the update to The Bat.

    Something tells me that this is because the HTML-Mail you're getting sent
is being MIME encapsulated.  I /think/ TB! does the sane thing and at least
require the HTML to be in a MIME attachment so when people are discussion HTML
in email but don't want it displayed (insane idea to the general public, I
know) they can see what is going on.  :)

> 5. When will the developpers add proportional fonts? I _hate_ proportional.
> Suddenly my mail looks ugly.(Yes, I saw the workaround in the FAQ, and I
> might try it, but I like Arial best).

    Hopefully never.  You'll note my signature would look ugly in proportional
fonts.  Also mail looks REALLY nasty in proportional fonts.  Something about
the 78 character max wrap and the lines looking really jaggy when crammed into
proportional.  For example, these two lines aren't the same width in

11111111111111111111111111111
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

> 6. Why isn't the "Find" utility listed under the Tools menu? As of now, one
> can only find it in the Icon toolbar.

    ...   Good question.  I'll go flog them for an answer.

> 7. I'd like to be able to tell The Bat to automatically focus on my Inbox
> when new mail has arrived. yes, it's a Eudora habit ;-)

    Why?  90% of my new mail doesn't arrive in my inbox.  It arrives in the
folders /outside/ my inbox.  Filters, they are your friends.