A.,

Regarding your message dated: 17 September 2000...

ACM> I personally do like the free caret interface myself. Also, for me,
ACM> TB!'s editor took some time to get accustomed to. It was a period of
ACM> adjustment and giving and taking. The end result has been that the
ACM> shortcomings for me do not exceed the good points. If TB! were to
ACM> support an external editor, I would still use this one.

I would agree with this myself.  I took a while to learn the
differences between the Windows standard editor functionality and
TB!'s functionality but the free caret interface is something I find I
take advantage of regularly simply because it allows me to easily lay
out my text in a clearer and more 'creative' way.

What does perplex me still is how exactly the tab key works.  My usual
experience from both Windows and Unix editors is that the tab key
indents the cursor position (either by a control-character or by
inserting extra white space as required) to the next 'tab-stop' which
is normally defined as a regular series of positions along the text
line - say ever 4,8,16 or however many characters.

In TB!, I find the behaviour of the tab key to be almost random.
Sometimes I'll get a desired effect - othertimes the tab key will jump
the cursor to about 5 characters from the end of the line leaving a
gap of about 60% page width.  If anyone here has the wisdom or
knowledge (or both?!) to explain what is going on, I'm a perplexed
person waiting for enlightenment... :)

Best wishes,

Mark

 Using TheBat! 1.46c Windows NT 4 0 1381 Service Pack 6
 Just4Fun - Freestuff, Humour and More! - http://just4fun.ipfox.com/
 Mark R Harding
 The Integrated Systems Group (Vision)
 Department of Electronics & Electrical Engineering
 The University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Mayfield Road
 Edinburgh. EH9 3JL. Scotland. U.K.

 Phone:  +44 (0)131 650 5662
 Fax:    +44 (0)131 650 6554
 Email:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]