On 21-09-2000 at 19:14, Marcel kindly wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2000, Karin Spaink wrote:

>>> to just add the latest intruder to the existing spam filter?

KS>> by adding its characteristic trait in the filter,
KS>> using the "Alternatives"tab (I just learnt this myself). It
KS>> adds rules, and treats the victims in the same fashion as
KS>> the general (or first) rule).

> How do you add the spam addresses to the filter in the alternatives?
> Manually or do you let the filter add them? (and how off course ;-) )

I'm not so sure that it's a good idea to add a rule for each
and every spam address: there are simply to many addresses
from which spam is sent, and they change, so you end up with
a huge list of which most (if not all) addresses are
obsolete.

But the trick is simple. Imagine that you have a filter that
sends incoming mail straight to trash, based on an address
(e.g. you want to send all my mail right to the bin), here's
how you do it:

Go to "Account" - "Sorting Office/Filters";
Select the Incoming Mail folder;
Click on New;
Type a name for the rule (e.g. TrashMail)
Keep "Source Folder" on Inbox (this is where you filter
  from)
For "Move Message To Folder", click on the icon to the right
   of the grey box and select Trash (this is where you
   filter too);
Under "Filtering Strings", type
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] in the grey box
Under "Location", leave "Sender" as is (if you want to select
   another header to filter on. click on sender and change to
   the appropriate one;
Leave Presence on Yes.
Make sure that the Rule is Active box is checked.

There. All mail from me will go to Trash upon receipt.

If you now want to widen the extend of this filter and want
to give other people the same treatment, you open this
filter TrashMail, click on the second (Alternatives) box and
click Add Set. Same as before:

Under "Filtering Strings", type
   the next-to-be-trashed-address in the grey box, e.g.
   [EMAIL PROTECTED];
Leave "Sender" as is (if you want to select another header to
   filter on. click on sender and change to the appropriate
   one;
Leave Presence on Yes.

Now all mail that you get from these two addresses will be
thrashed.

Please note that you can be more precise with headers when
you select "Kludges" under Location, and in the grey box you
copy the exact header that you want to filter on, e.g.

when you don't want to receive _any_ mail from anybody who
uses Eudora.

- K -

--

As you go on living with someone, you slowly lose the
power to make them happy, while your capacity to hurt