Hi Ming-Li,

On Saturday, September 23, 2000 at 3:20:29 PM you wrote:

>> I  know  neither  Agent's  nor XNews's way of doing things, and
>> I'm in fact  quite  satisfied  with  TB's  way  of visualising
>> threading (the threading  itself  is  not  so  good).

> Again, I can't talk about XNews since my memory has faded. Agent
> does this and it's quite clever, at least to me:

> Subject                  Author     Date

> This is a thread         John       9/23/00

> I hope that's clear enough (Note that I omitted other irrelevant
> columns).

I know that way of threading, Gnus can do it in a similar way.

> This is not to say the problem can't be overcome or mitigated. I'm
> just saying it's not as easy as it seems, and I'm glad for not being
> the one who has to come out with a perfect solution. :)

I  think we have different opinions about what is "the problem" we are
discussing.  To  me,  the  problem  is not that any column is not wide
enough  for  it's  content  or  that I can't see enough information. I
don't  care if the subject is repeated multiple times, although that's
wasted  space.  But I don't want the first column to get wider all the
time when the thread is expanded. There's no reason for that, because

a) I  can  read  the  subject  perfectly  in the first message of the
   thread, even if it's very long.
b) TB *always* widens the column, even if the subject is very short.

But by widening the column, other columns to the right are immediately
out of screen. That's my problem, not anything that's displayed in the
columns.

Oliver Sturm

--
Always proofread carefully in case you something out.
--

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996