Hi Ming-Li,

On Saturday, September 23, 2000 at 5:52:42 PM you wrote:

>> I  think we have different opinions about what is "the problem" we
>> are discussing.  [...] I don't want the first column to get wider
>> all the time when the thread is expanded. There's no reason for
>> that, because

>> a) I  can  read  the  subject  perfectly  in the first message of the
>>    thread, even if it's very long.
>> b) TB *always* widens the column, even if the subject is very short.

> I understand your problem and I thought I answered in the second
> part. Too bad I didn't make it clear.

Maybe you did and I didn't understand, sorry.

> As I tried to explain, the first column isn't always the subject
> column, and is the "Message Flag" column by default. In such cases,
> the intended information (the message flag, and the threading
> facilities) would be soon pushed out of bound if it's not widen
> automatically.

Is that true (meaning the message flag being first column by default)?
Try my settings, then, you'll see the most ridiculous thread layout.

I  have  set  threads  to  be  viewed by references. Additionally, I'm
sorting   by  the  field  "Created",  ascending  (meaning  the  newest
messages  at  the bottom of the list). Usually, my first column is the
subject. Now move the message flag column to the absolute left, taking
position  from  the  subject.  Expand  this  (quite  long) thread some
levels.  Is it only me, or does the column even change width now, with
the little envelope all over the place?

> As I said, it's not something undoable. There could be options (for
> fixing the column width), or TB could try to detect if Subject is
> the first column. I'm merely trying to say it's more complicated for
> it has other factors to consider, and TB doesn't do this "for no
> reason".

The  main  problem, taking into account the issue above, is that those
usual  grid/treeview  controls can display the hierarchy lines in only
one column at a time. So, even if one could keep the first column from
resizing,  this would only look nice if the column's original width is
large  enough to accommodate at least some levels of "line structure".
Anyway,  as  they  probably  don't  use  a "standard" listview for the
message list, they might be able to do something about it.

Oliver Sturm

--
Always proofread carefully in case you something out.
--

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996