Hi all,

the mail quoted below was sent to the list managers by a list member
who, for obvious reasons, does not want to mail it to the list
under his name. Because I feel that the information might be of
great interest for others I'm sending the info now, of course
with permission of the author.

If you want to contact the original author pls. sent me a short
note and I will pass on your email address to him.

[begin quote]
I am leaving TBBETA because I am no longer using the Beta version
of TB, and whilst I still use TB as a solid PGP e-mailer, I have
gone over to another program for most of my e-mailing.

The reason for this is simply I do not get on with The Bat, and I
cannot compete with others in technical competence in TBBETA list.

This may surprise you and I mention this only by the way, as the
effect I experience using TB is a "me specific" thing.  I have
suffered with various forms of epilepsy all my life (now 53 years!)
and because of my condition I often feel "uncomfortable" with
certain things (flashing lights, disco lights, flashing neon
tubes.....etc.,etc.....and some computer programs).  I do not
suffer from photosensitive epilepsy, such as those who watch TV
or video games and experience seizures, however.  As a result, I
was recently visited at home by a research team who wanted to get
a range of test results on somebody who had epilepsy but not
photosensitive epilepsy, and I was given an encephalograph (EEG)
to test and record the minute levels of electrical activity in my
brain. Very little brain activity of a seizure type was recorded
whilst I watched TV, played on a Nintendo 64, or used my computer.

However, when I fired up The Bat, the electrical activity
increased remarkably (but still below the "noticeable" level,
just enough to make me feel uncomfortable).  The same was true of
Word 2000, and Lotus 123.

This added brain activity could be increased to the point at
which I had a seizure and I have subsequently removed both Word
and Lotus 123 from my computer, though The Bat has a lot to offer
and I am loathe to discard it (especially as I've registered it).

The lowest additional activity was recorded using the Calypso 3.1
mail program, so I tend to use that, plus Becky 2.  as I said,
this is a "me specific" thing, caused by a medical condition over
which I have no control and probably would affect nobody else in
the same way, even a fellow sufferer of "the falling sickness"
(as Shakespeare once described it, in "Julius Caesar").

So I am giving up using The Bat as one of my main e-mail programs
but I am still interested in the discussions on TBUDL.  Should
anybody else that you know want to know something about epilepsy
and computers, or if anybody out there is just interested, I
should be pleased to receive their e-mails.

[end quote]

--
Regards,
Wolfgang

Co-moderator TBUDL / TBBETA discussion lists

Using The Bat! 1.45 under Windows 95 4.0 Build 1111  B
in Stadtallendorf, Germany, on a 166Mhz Cyrix, 128MB SDRAM, half SCSI system ;-)

http://www.wolfgang-kynast.de/