Friday, November 17, 2000, 12:45:15 PM, Ming-Li wrote:

ML> On Thursday, November 16, 2000, 2:19:16 PM, Marck wrote:

>> There  are  good  reasons  that  an  email client doesn't allow
>> you to change  incoming  mails  easily.  For  instance,  it  is
>> this kind of trivialisation  that  cheapens  email  as  a
>> legitimate  record  of a communication.  I  know  now that any
>> forwarded message from a Calypso user  is  as  unrepresentative
>> as those I already distrust from Becky users. Thanks for the heads
>> up :-).

ML> Several of you have expressed the same thought. I don't agree.

I DO agree - it should be perfectly clear when a message has been edited,
regardless of what the reason for the editing was.

ML> If I forward a message to you and claim it to be exactly the same as
ML> the original, you'll just have to take my word for it, regardless
ML> whether I send it from TB or any other emailer. If you trust me, you
ML> trust me; if you don't, you don't. Changes to the content of email
ML> can be done, no matter what programs one uses.

Sure, it's always possible to change the content of e-mail. It's also
possible to falsify all sorts of info in the headers. That doesn't
necessarily make it a GOOD thing to do, however. But if someone has
forwarded/redirected something to me, I KNOW that it could possibly
have been edited, regardless of what the sender may say/imply.

ML> What if I receive a message full of jokes and I only want to keep
ML> one of them? What if I want to change the subject and put the
ML> original subject in the memo? (I don't have 1600*1200, Allie, :) and
ML> can't afford to show memo in the message list pane.) What if I want
ML> to break a thread that doesn't belong together (despite moderators'
ML> repeated warning, it still happens a lot, doesn't it)?

Here's another option: redirect the message to yourself. This lets you
edit the original message &/or subject, keeps the original sender &
reply-to intact, and keeps the Message-ID intact. No, sorry, it SHOULD
keep the original Message-ID intact (necessary for
newsgroup-moderation, for one thing, which is why I know that Eudora
also has a broken "redirect"/"bounce" but Forte Agent's works
properly), however The Bat! apparently does not keep it intact as I
just tested it out and it changed the Message-ID :( . However, because
redirecting adds the X-Sender header, it is clear that it the message
has passed through someone else's hands and may have been edited. I
don't have "Use local delivery" set up on my system, but I would guess
that probably using that would let you "send" the message without it
actually having to go out to the net and come back again?? And you
could set up a filter on incoming mail (using the X-Sender and your
e-mail address in the kludges) to automatically redirect the message
to your "archiving" folder and mark it as read if you so desired. I
don't know, however, what this would do to the X-References header,
bearing in mind that The Bat! does not correctly preserve the
Message-ID, however it SHOULD keep the X-References header intact so
that if you thread by references, it would not break the thread
(though editing the subject would obviously break the thread if you
thread by Subject).

 Diana                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]