On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:50:48 -0800, you wrote:

>----------------------------------
>On Thursday, January 04, 2001, 4:38:09 PM, Olivier Reubens wrote:
>
> Under Account Properties, "Transport",
>>>simply specify the SMTP server of whichever ISP you have that DOES
>>>allow relaying & is most reliable.
>OR> NONE of the  ISP's in Belgium allow relaying.
>OR> If you know of a provider /smtp server that I could use for relaying,
>OR> it may be a solution...
>
>It doesn't matter what account you are using on TB, what matters is
>what CONNECTION you have. Choose whichever ISP is the most reliable
>for you to connect to, and then use that one for all SMTP. When you
>are logged on, it is not considered relaying. What is a problem if
>your connection is with ISP-1 and you try to send mail to the SMTP for
>ISP-2.

Well a ruling of the ISPA (www.ispa.be) (belgium organisation
regulating ISP's in belgium) stipulates that no SMTP server should
have an "open" line.  In short, ISP's are only allowed to give SMTP
access to users that reach them from withing their own dial-ins/leased
lines/DSL..., but not to someone connecting to it via some other
location on the internet.  And it doesn't matter whether you pay for
your account at a provider and indeed have a mailbox, you are simply
not allowed to send mail using their SMTP server if you didn't dial
into their server.

I've tried locating the actual rules concerning SMTP servers on the
site of the ISPA, but it's not there.  Maybe I need to write them an
e-mail. :-)

There's maybe only one or two providers in Belgium who haven't joined
the ISPA.  But they either don't provide mailboxes, or aren't worth
what they're asking to get an account.  And I have enough accounts
already, I really don't need more of them.  And I can't afford to drop
any of the ones I have and put 'em all onto one server. <sigh>

Contrary to what someone else suggested, xs4all.be is also a member of
the ISPA and doesn't have an open SMTP server.  In all practicality,
you can safely say that ALL ISP's in Belgium are member or the ISPA.

Olivier Reubens.