Hallo Douglas,

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:51:05 -0600 GMT (09/01/2001, 11:51 +0800 GMT),
Douglas Hinds wrote:

Douglas> I am going compress all, but hope to determine what purging does, if
Douglas> compress is actually purge deleted messages.

Purging is marking "old" messages or messages "over the limit" (in
terms of number of messages) as "deleted" in the message base, but
leaving them in the base.

KS>> Not true. Compression within TB has nothing to do with the
KS>> algorithms used for compression when using a back-up
KS>> program.

Douglas> That is because Compression within TB has nothing to do with
Douglas> compression.

Correct. Compression in TB has nothing to do with compression in
so-called "packers", like WinZip or WinRAR.

It is like the PACK command in DBase or Clipper programming, which of
course has nothing to do with the a.m. packers.

Confused yet?

KS>> Nope. You must have misunderstood the idea behind
KS>> compression.

Douglas> You are referring to Moldavian compression. I am referring to
Douglas> compression compression (i.e Doublespace or similar bogeymen).

I am not sure this meaning of the word "compression" is used only on
Moldavia. But I am sorry to see that you are not confused anymore and
have gotten to the bottom of the meaning. ;-)

So, and while the Purge command does not actually purge, it is very
important that you set time limits or number-of-message limits in
every folder (and that includes Inbox/Outbox/Sent/Trash!) and
Purge&Compress All Folders (wrongly named Purge All folders)
regularly. Otherwise you will be buying a new HD every half year.

Oh, you could set "On Exit" for all folders. Then it would go
automatically whenever you close TB. However, since you hardly close
TB, it would bnot help you so much; for me, it took several minutes
(up to 15, actually) upon closing TB every evening in the office, so I
prefer doing it manually and not when I'm in a hurry to leave the
office.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

The hardness of the butter is directly proportional to the softness of the bread.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.49
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM