Hi Jan,
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, at 15:55:25 -0500 you wrote:

Lars>> Change 'Options' -> 'Security' to 'SMTP with login'.

JR>   Not quite sure what you mean here.

GMX supports three methods of SMTP authentication. The newest
and most secure one is 'SMTP with login' (commonly known as RFC
2554). If you created your account before a certain date (I
don't remember it exactly) the security option is set to 'POP
before SMTP' as default. This is how the SMTP server expects the
client to authenticate. Note: these are the settings of GMX,
they have nothing to do with your account properties in TB! You
can change them if you log in on their web site. I would
recommend activating RFC 2554 (or at least checking if it is
already activated).

JR> My current settings look like this now:

JR> SMTP Server = mail.gmx.co.uk

OK, as I wrote before.

JR> Perform SMTP authentication (RFC 2554) *not* selected
JR> Use POP before SMTP authentication *is* selected

These two depend on what you activated in GMX' options. As
stated above, I recommend activating RFC 2554 in your GMX
account and then activate this setting in your account
properties in TB! and *deactivate* 'Use POP before SMTP
authentication'. Your settings in TB! have to be the same as
GMX' server settings. The SMTP server will refuse a connection
if you don't authenticate yourself the way it expects you to.

[rest snipped, should be no problem]

I hope this will fix your problems.

--
Regards,
Lars

The Bat! 1.49c on Windows NT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 1
|        Lars Geiger  |  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        |
| PGP Key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=GetPublicKey> |