Hello Jan,

>  Why don't you tell me exactly what settings of mine you need to see to
>   compare them to yours. If they are essentially the same, then we know
>   the problem is elsewhere. My next step would be to see if it has to do
>   with the fact that I am connecting from the US. If so, then I'll have
>   to find another mail server. At this juncture GMX is pretty useless to
>   me. For sure, it shouldn't be this difficult.

I've been lurking on this topic and I can offer you my settings for
GMX. It works for me. I of course have chosen GMX's most secure SMTP
setting and applied it at their site. In my GMX properties SMTP
authentication dialog box I chose "perform SMTP authentication (RFC
2554)", then "use specific settings", then put my user ID number given to
me by GMX when I signed up in the "Username" spot, followed by my
password in the "Password" spot. That's all that is checked on that
page. GMX's SMTP server is mail.gmx.net - pop server is pop.gmx.net

I hope this is what you were looking for and that it can help you. It
does work without error for me.

Craig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]