Saturday, December 08, 2001, 1:36:41 PM, Marck D Pearlstone wrote in
reply to Sebastian:

> One of two things:

> 1). Turn off NAV. Let TB download the infected mail in peace (it won't
> hurt - it's coming into TB after all). Turn on NAV once the mail
> retrieval is complete.

> 2). Use TB's "Dispatch mail on server" functions to delete the
> offending message from the server.

> The problem is that NAV is being unnecessarily intrusive to TB's mail
> retrieval process - that's why I won't use it myself.
---

Sebastian doesn't say which version of Norton Antivirus he's using. If
this is NAV 2001 or later, you can manually configure it scan incoming
email and to either quarantine or delete infected attachments. This
allows uninterrupted downloading of mail.

If you configure NAV like this, it replaces each infected attachment
with a text file that identifies the virus that the attachment
contained, and gives the action that NAV took.

Here's the full procedure of how to manually configure NAV and TB to
give maximum protection with minimum disruption to mail downloads.

1. Open NAV2001, either from the Start menu or by double-clicking the
   system tray icon. In NAV2001, click Options.
2. In the Options dialog box, click Email Protection, in the Action
   list select "Delete the attachment" or "Quarantine the attachment".
3. Expand Email Protection, click Advanced, then select Enable Manual
   Configuration.
4. Click OK, then close NAV2001.
5. In TB, open the account properties sheet, then select Transport.
6. In the User box, type your username at your ISP, followed by a
   slash, followed by the name of your ISP's POP3 server. For example,
   if your user name fred and the mail server name is
   mail.mydomain.com, you should type fred/mail.mydomain.com in the
   User box.
7. In the Mail Server box, type pop3.norton.antivirus, then click OK.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK