Hello Dierk,

On 9  Dec 2001 at 18:23:51 you wrote (at least in part):
>>  There is no ">", just the word "from" in the next line:

>> from

>>  See what GMX did to it? ;-)

DH> Nothing, as you can see. The point I tried to make when the discussion
DH> came up months ago. GMX either does not or not always insert the
DH> prefix.

OK, I try again to be heard: From different mails we've seen to this
issue and the fact I do _know_ GMX uses more than one server I came to
the conclusion they are using either different software on different
servers or different versions of the same software or simply different
configurations on different servers. So not all insert that '>', but
some seem to need it for _secure_ message storing. The '>' is not a
thing of "let's annoy some people" but there were times and software
that _needed_ it for secure message storing and re-retrieving.
So if there're some 'old' servers that run such a software you can't
do anything against this except changing server or software. And we
all should know, this is a realy expensiv thing to do and therefore
maybe this server will run until they have to be substituted anyway.

If I had a 'Pro' account I'd expect them to make sure my mails reach
me uneffected, because it could be important in case of e.g. a PGP or
S/MIME signature. In any other case it's a pure cosmetic thing and for
'Free' users ind the meaning of 'non paying' I think it'S an
acceptable 'limitation' in function for this great and nevertheless
free service, even as it ain't a 'real' limitation.
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Xyzzy doesn't mean shit.