Hello Charles,

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 at 19:52:05 [GMT +0000], you wrote:
CC> From what I've seen the developers of The Bat would be as well
CC> buying in a better mail list server - many are available.

Just trying to determine which list you're speaking of. If it's this
one (TBUDL), the developers have absolutely nothing to do with it. I
created this list back in December of 1998 running entirely under The
Bat. Once list traffic exceeded my meager 28.8K modem capabilities, it
was moved to a list server, which later went down, and thanks to
Marck and Syafril's quick action they picked up the list and it's
being hosted by Syafril to this day. It is using the Listar software
for the mailing list manager which is a true mailing list host.

Over a period of time, we've discovered that most problems with the
list are improperly sent posts by the users (things like not putting
in a subject, sent to the server address instead of the post address),
or that some other server in the chain to the subscriber is causing
the problem.

As for messages arriving out of order, there are two possibilities.
One is the server issue I mentioned above where one of the servers in
the chain between the list host and the subscriber is holding messages
up, but the other is that oftentimes, the subscriber has their viewing
options incorrectly set. Sorting by creation date vs. received date
oftentimes fixes the "apparent" out of order messages.

The cool thing about the TB lists (TBUDL, TBBETA, TBDEV, and TBTECH),
is that oftentimes answers are provided just seconds after someone has
posted a message. If for instance, some server on the way to you is
holding up messages, the other list members might get it before you,
reply, and because the reply goes a different path (hops), you might
get the reply before you get the original question. There's really
nothing any list software can do to overcome it. This is the way the
Internet was designed (read up on Arpanet for more info).

The bounces we moderators see on a daily basis is huge. We do our best
to determine if the problem is with the list, but most times there
isn't anything we can do about someone else's server.

Cheers,
Leif Gregory

--
List Moderator (and fellow registered end-user)
PCWize Editor  /  ICQ 216395  /  PGP Key ID 0x7CD4926F

Tagline of the day:
A 'language' is a dialect with an army.