Hello Kai,

On Wednesday, March 27, 2002 at 10:28:18 AM you wrote in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (at least in part):

KG> have also heard that one can create his own certificate using OpenSSL.

You will not need to build a certificate.
You'll only need the public part of servers key to have imported into your
address book into 'Trusted Root CA' part.

If your University does not offer to download the public key you can 'work
around' this.

Fetch OpenSSL compiled for Win32 from
http://www.ritlabs.com/ftp/pub/the_bat/beta/openssl.rar
Unrar it and open a command line shell (command.com or cmd.exe).

Use this command from openssl-directory you extracted the content from
RAR-archive to to connect to the server:

openssl s_client -connect <Mail-Server>:<Port> -showcerts

<Port> is usually 995 for POP3-over-SSL, <Mail-Server> you really should
know best :-)

Some stuff appears on screen. Then .. suddenly there's a line starting:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

>From _this line_, including it, until

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

also _including_, copy the whole block and save it with the help of
Notepad, or any text editor of your choice, to a new text file.
Call it to you preferences, but I'd suggest you make it's extension to
'.pem'

Now open up your TB!'s AB and go to 'Trusted Root CA'.
Create a new contact, enter informations to your like.
Enter the 'Certificates' tab and 'Import' the file you've just created.
Save this new 'contact'.

Enter the server settings of your mail account belonging to this server.
At 'Transport' section change it to use 'Secure to dedicated port (TLS)'.

You should be done. If not: copy the error message from log file
(<Ctrl>+<Shift>+A) and paste it here so we maybe can give further hints.

KG> Maybe they could even post an FAQ sheet?

Not yet :-) I'll need some _spare_ time for that :-)))
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]