On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, 12:10:31 PM, DG wrote:

> Some SMTP servers, HOTPop for example, require you be authenticated to it's
> POP server prior to sending through their SMTP server, hence this may, and
> probably is, the reason you are getting a send error if you have not yet
> authenticated, or not have within a certain time, to the POP server.

That sounds exactly like the problem, as soon as I authenticate with
the POP server I can send mail. Now that I understand it I can make
sure that I do things in the correct sequence! It is good to know that
there is a reason for the behaviour, it is not just random weirdness!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Regards
Christopher                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Using The Bat! v1.60h on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600