On Sat, 4 May 2002, Kai Göing wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am looking for an FTP client that is basically as small, stable and
> fast as TB and offers a lot of functionality. Bloatware clients like
> SmartFTP or WS_FTP Pro are therefore out of the question for me. I've
> been evaluating several clients like AbsoluteFTP 2.01
> (www.vandyke.com), Bulletproof FTP (www.bpftp.com) and the built-in
> client of Windows Commander (www.ghisler.com) over the last couple of
> days. In terms of size, stability and functionality, Bulletproof FTP
> seemed like the right choice. It is extremely small yet allows me to
> queue files from different directories and export my settings.
> However, yesterday I used each of those clients to upload a 10 MB test
> file to a local server using a T1 connection under WinNT 4.0 SP6. To
> my great amazement and despair, it took BPFTP over 3 minutes to upload
> that file (at an average rate of 40 kb/sec) whereas AbsoluteFTP and
> Windows Commander finished the job in less than a minute. I have
> repeated this test several times and the results did not change. So it
> looks like that for some reason BPFTP is much, much slower and I don't
> understand that huge discrepancy. Do FTP clients really differ that
> greatly when it comes to speed? I figured that there would be small
> differences but BPFTP being three times slower than the other two
> clients is simply unacceptable despite its otherwise outstanding
> features. Any comments, recommendations or suggestions? What is your
> favorite FTP client?
>
> So long,
>
> Kai

To be honest... yes.... clients can have a huge difference depending on
the way they connect.  Try looking at the connection method, see if there
is a PASV and non PASV mode.  I've noticed that behind firewalls, and on
some networking environments, those settings can cause some delay.  I
personally use FTP Explorer (www.ftpx.com) It's fairly small, and has most
of the things included in it.  Another bonus is it's freeware if I
remember correctly.

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])