Hi Douglas,

@22 July 2002, 19:25 -0500 (01:25 UK time)  Douglas Hinds [DH] in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] said to Marck D
Pearlstone:

MDP>> ... I've seen spam come through with "The Bat! (1.52f) Business"
MDP>> as the X-Mailer and an X-MS-Priority header.

DH> *Is* there a TB! "Business" version?

Yes, there is.

DH> I DO recall seeing that on the spam I saw with TB! mentioned as
DH> the mailer in the header.

If you get a spam that has this header:

it, incongruously will also have an "X-MS-Priority" header. TB only
uses X-Priority.

The X-Mailer header is a fake.

DH> I search all accounts for "v1.52f" in the header and found 36
DH> messages with v1.52f, 15 of those were sent to this and other TB!
DH> lists and 3 of those were sent using the "v1.52f Business" edition,

Yes, it was a bona fide edition. It's just that it isn't used for
sending spam. It is far too low capacity.

DH> so there may have been a business version sold by RITLabs.

There were, but not for spamming.

DH> The other 21 messages were received by 3 accounts and are spam
DH> directed to ALL accounts of two ISPs. Most of these are _HTML_
DH> mail, which indicates that they were NOT in fact sent using The
DH> Bat!,

Correct. You'll probably find the X-MS-Priority header too.

DH> unless the Business version (if there is one) included (the hated)
DH> HTML mail capacity.

It didn't. "Business version" is just the "Business" licence ($45) AOT
the "Private" licence ($35) AOT the "Student" licence ($25). Nothing
special, just a different price for different classes of user.

DH> Most of those were in Trash directories.

I'm not surprised :-).

DH> Is there a way to determine whether AMS was used?

Yes. It was Spam - ergo, it wasn't sent using TB. That's one fairly
simplistic maxim. I have found that the X-MS-Priority header tends to
appear in the AMS spams too.

- --
Cheers -- .\\arck D Pearlstone -- List moderator
TB! v1.62/Beta1 on Windows 2000 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2
'