On Friday, November 8, 2002, 1:57:45 PM, John De Hoog wrote:

JDH>  Unfortunately, I don't have a magic filter that excludes attachments
JDH> from unknown senders. Is there such a thing?

Well you were the one who said "I have filtering rules that let these
senders and files into my computer." :-) What you meant, then, was that
attachments from people you don't know end up in your "unknown" box,
right? But why shouldn't an email from a known person carry a virus?

JDH> But I do try to divide incoming mail into Known and Unknown. Isn't
JDH> that what we all do?

I don't, because a) I get contacted by people who have a legitimate
reason for doing so (ie not spam) but who I don't know, & b) I don't
find it the best system for me.

JDH> And I don't expect a virus to come in the Known boxes.

Why not? Surely you realise that the people you know might be infected
just as easily as those you don't? Or that someone might have both your
email address & that of someone you know on their computer, & get hit
with a virus that fakes headers, & send you a virus that appears to have
come from someone you know?

JDH> All of the other mailing lists I'm on block attachments as a policy
JDH> matter.

Some lists do, some don't - it depends on the purpose of the list and
the feelings of the list-owner. But a list email with an attachment is
of no more danger than an email with an attachment from someone you
*know*.

--
Deborah