thanks everyone for either sending me the eicar file (which still
doesn't get detected) or giving other hints and tips.

Anthony Xin Chen:  I tried to follow your instructions:

>Go to Options / Virus Protection /. Select the AVG plug in, then click
>on the Configure button at right. Verify in the popup window whether
> the "scan messages by this plug-in" option is checked.

Under Configure I cannot find the button you mention (only
options about sounds and pop-up windows, both checked), but in
the general window  all options about checking messages are
checked (including: check attachment before saving to disc).

so no luck there.

I will try they URL several people send me, so I won't have to
bother you again, asking for eicar.

Thanks!

--

Regards,