In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Miguel A. Urech [MAU] wrote:'

MAU> So go ahead and keep jumping on newbies, but please be honest
MAU> and don't use the redundancy and bandwidth arguments.

<moderator>

On a public note, this personal attack on my honesty as a moderator
is not appreciated and also refuted.

It would be unreasonable and ridiculous if as moderators, we were to
proceed to demand that all members post in a particular way to
completely remove what may be deemed as redundant material. We try
to maintain fairness and objectivity.

If someone wishes to use a colourful introduction or detailed
introduction it's really up to them. Same for the signature, though
there are guidelines for those as well, for example the 6 line limit
for signatures.

However, two things are really unnecessary in the context of a
discussion list and there's really no good reason for them. One is
overquoting and the other is not using a signature delimiter. In the
context of a busy e-mail discussion list, how can one defend doing
either of these two things. Who stands to benefit from it. There's
no entertainment as with a cookie in the signature. No time zones to
inform those who may be interested etc. It's just unnecessary.
Overquoting *does* impact on bandwidth so I *am* being honest.

Top posting encourages over-quoting and also makes it difficult for
many of the more helpful members to understand the flow of a
discussion since perceiving context can be a tedious process when a
reply is formatted in such a fashion. There has been so much public
agreement on this point that we've been asking new comers to change.
This is actually in their interest as well.

</moderator>

--
  -=] Allie C Martin [=-  {List Moderator}

MUA: TB! v1.62 Christmas Edition ___ OS: WinXP Pro (SP1)