Hello Spike,

S> Comments?  Suggestions?  These files represent almost half a GB
S> of space being used (wasted?).  I run my mailer on a laptop so
S> that wherever I go I have ALL my messages, and I need to free
S> some space on the system.

.tmp files are created by the by programs for use in the current
session of Windows. The are *temporary* files which should be deleted
by the software. However, software doesn't always handle this well and
sometimes doesn't delete them all. This is most likely when the
software crashes or when you have just installed something (I find
installers are particularly bad at clearing out tmp files.).  .tmp
files are generic and not specific to any program and are a way of,
for example, having a back up of say, a Word document when you are
creating it.  Consequently, the best way to deal with them is to write
a short batch file which either a. deletes all files form that folder
on shutdown, or b. deletes all files in that folder not having the
same date as the current Windows session and using the Windows
Scheduler to run it every week or so.

 Mike