Hello Miguel A. Urech,

On or about Monday, March 10, 2003 at 18:29:19GMT +0100 (which was
12:29 PM in the tropics where I live) Miguel A. Urech posted:

>> I had a situation occur over the weekend (when I am less attentive
>> to my mail) which caused a mail filter loop and sent out 457 'fwd:
>> fwd: fwd: .... .... ' messages to a mailing list I manage. That is
>> 457 X 10,212 (or 4.66 _MILLION_ plus) messages before I caught the
>> error.

MAU> Am I understanding you correctly? You mean you manage a mailing list
MAU> with 10,212 members with TB? So that when a message is sent to the
MAU> list your TB sends 10,212 copies of the message, one to each member?

To quote the popular rent-a-car ad, "Not exactly."  I have messages
such as "ZDNet Anchordesk" and other assorted IT news and anti-virus
bulletins that forward to a 'Smartgroups' list containing the 10,212
members.  By the time I caught it, the volume had reached these
levels.  Fortunately there is a 5-10 minute delay between the time I
send them out and when they appear to be distributed.  If the response
time was faster, the duplications would have been more monumental!!

As I am one of the group members (the 'owner'), I get each message
back into the folder for the group.  I still haven't figured out how
the filter misfired after 14 months, as the trigger is the sending
mailer and the field is 'sender.'  The 'sender' for the newsletter is
newsletter.online.com, and the 'sender' for the group is smartgroups.com.

You tell me how the filter got bullocks'd up?  I don't have a
clue......

--
Warmest tropical wishes,
Spike

I saw a subliminal advertising executive, but only for a second.

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Against HTML Mail
\ /   If it aint a webpage it shouldn't be HTML.
 X    Say NO! to bloatmail - ban HTML mail!
/ \   Ask Spikey, he hates everything (HTML).
Using TheBat! v1.62i hamstrung by Windows XP 5.1
Build 2600 Service Pack 1'