Hello Nigel!

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, 3:06 AM, you wrote:

MB>> But I do suspect the modem-messaging code in the OS.

N> This is where I think the problem lies, or possibly somewhere in
N> the bowels of The Bat!

Or how the two relate.

N> After establishing a dial-up connection, The Bat! doesn't get as
N> far as talking with my ISP. I've watched the network monitor and no
N> information gets transferred over the link.

I don't have a monitor like that. But I notice that the little red
light on the front of the computer, which flickers to signify
activity, does not come on during this problem.

N> Unfortunately, on my system, ... it's a permanent problem. ...

Yes. I did know from your description that the behavior you were
experiencing is not the same as my experience. I don't know very much
about computers--just what I've learned trial-and-error, with a little
support from friends and family, and a lot of help from this list and
one or two others.

I guess I contributed to this thread more in a spirit of "misery loves
company" and the hope that there was an off-chance that I might
provide a clue to help you solve the problem, than with any idea that
I knew the answer myself.

Mary

The Bat! 1.61 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 1