On Sunday, September 7, 2003, 10:01:58 AM, Alexander wrote:

A> If I want to upgrade from Office97 today I get a discount price on
A> Office XP, same goes for Windows v.whatever and whatnot. After
A> *years* and not within 2 months only.

And you pay a *lot* more for Microsoft products than you do for TB. I'd
rather deal with Ritlabs than MS personally.

A> This is what I mean with "buy or die". If you don't want to update to
A> v2 within two months, pay the full price, and it came all of a sudden
A> after Ritlabs changed their beta numbering from v1.63xxx to v2.00xxx.
A> I'd like to call that a bit unsensible.

I think someone pointed out that v2 is 75% new code - that's hardly just
a change in beta-numbering.

A> And what a lot of people are overseeing is that the v2 license is not
A> "one person" but "one computer". So, if you're using TB on your
A> laptop and your home computer, you need another full license AFAIK.

I just ran the install-files for both v1.62 & v2 to check. The wording
in both licenses is exactly the same - you are given a license to run
the program "on one computer at a time".

>> Also it's not really a buy or die policy as 1.6x is an incredibly
>> powerful mail client which most people could continue using. If you
>> want the features of V2 then you'll need to upgrade.

A> Maybe one day I want to. Maybe (or rather: certainly) this is not
A> within the next two months. Then I have to pay the full price again.
A> I registered because TB is an excellent program and I wanted to
A> support further development, but my personal feeling is that on the
A> other hand I'm not treated with that respect.

I'm in a similar-but-slightly-different position. I'd like to upgrade to
v2, though, like you, I'd like to wait for a while so that any bugs can
be worked out, to find out what other people have experienced with v2
before I jump. But I can't afford to upgrade right now, so I'll end up
paying the full fee in the future. Oh well. That's life. I can't afford
a new car today either. Maybe I'll buy one in six months. Maybe the
price will have gone up. Maybe they'll have stopped some special offers.
I doubt if Ford will care how long I've been driving their products &
give me a break.

>> I used TB! for 4 years upgrading everytime a new version was released
>> and was never asked to pay a penny more than my original payment.

A> Precisely! You're paying $17.50 update fee for four *years* of usage,
A> I'd be asked to pay the same amount after only six *months*! Its a
A> rather unfair treatment of new vs. long time users, and I'm not
A> buying it.

Look at it this way. You paid your money more recently than a
longer-term user. A longer-term user has given more loyalty to the
product. In the case of most on this list, they've also given a lot of
support to other people using TB. And many of them have participated in
beta-testing. So you've both given *something* to Ritlabs that the other
hasn't. I fall somewhere in the middle - I've been using TB for about 16
months.

>> Also considering how powerful TB! and the cost of most software
>> nowadays Iw as thrilled to only be charged £20.

A> I stated it before. I beg your pardon, I don't think it is so hard to
A> understand: I don't need any v2 features right now. Yet I'd like to
A> 1. have the option to a reasonable update fee even after two months
A> (rather than buy-now-or-die) and 2. have the fact regarded that I was
A> using the program not for years, but only months.

Ritlabs have made an offer to registered users of v1. They didn't have
to; you can cite MS Windows all you want, but there are many software
companies who don't offer any discount at all for current users when
they release new versions. Ritlabs is giving you a break & offering you
a discount right now; that's actually pretty nice of them, & I'm sure if
they're reading this thread they're wondering why they bothered.
Nobody's forcing you to upgrade, now or later or ever. You can decide
what you want to do. Me, I'm just tired of the whining.

--
Deborah