Monday, September 8, 2003, 6:13:26 AM, Pixie wrote:
P> To a large extent the internet and the instant gratification
P> it brings especially with software is tiresome at times.  I
P> used to never know doodle about alpha/beta stages and having
P> the freshest version just wasn't a consideration unless
P> problems came up. I never used to keep this current (disregard
P> my OS :-) on so many applications when it required long
P> distance BBS calls at the all too slow baud rates of the day.

Many years ago, about 1985, I was an active Compu$erve user. I
was using one of the first Macintoshes and used a really cool
comm program called Red Ryder. It was very slick with great
macros, xmodem, etc. I used Red Ryder to access Compu$erve and
after a while it slowly dawned on me that the main reason I was
using Compu$erve was to download new versions of RR. Eventually,
I cancelled that service. Even way back then, I was fascinated
with the ability of the world-wide communication that enabled.

I was so proud of that 1200 baud modem when I got it! :)

--
Dave Kennedy