Douglas Hinds, [DH] wrote:

DH> I use it to avoid viruses as well as a trigger for following up on
DH> important mail. I don't want to be checking my high number of
DH> mailbox directories and don't use the ticker for the same reason:
DH> The fact is, most of my mail is never read.

You seem to spend a lot of time screening mail that you won't read.
Of course, if you get accustomed to doing this, it seems just fine and I
guess this is where our opinions differ.

With some filtering here, all important mail is filtered out either
directly or indirectly. Not much of my mail comes from unknown sources.
These are filtered to a particular folder.

Spam goes to another folder and is viewed only occasionally. Viruses to
another folder with the use of NOD32 and very occasionally looked in.

I just find it perplexing that you consider using the dispatcher to look
over all your mail is efficient. Just the act of repeatedly interacting
with the dispatcher, no matter the duration is distracting and
intrusive. If I thought it entirely subjective, I'd let the issue rest
and say it's just a matter of taste.

On a busy day, I'll entertain only those messages which are filtered to
particular folders. I get a special sound notification for those. I
safely ignore the rest. No scanning. No updating of spam filters.
<shrug> :) So if there's no important mail, I just keep working. Never
checking the dispatcher to screen mail. It's all done automatically.

M>>> As I upgraded to ADSL now, I'd like to see what exactly is not
M>>> downloaded, so I want to change my selective download filter into
M>>> a "normal" filter that puts the stuff in a certain folder.

DH> Including viruses?

Why fear downloading viruses with TB!? If you were using Outlook I'd
understand but with an application like TB!, this isn't really that
great a concern. You could even use a plug-in that deletes infected
messages or quarantines them if that made you more comfortable.

M>>> Is there a way to use the signal file, containing all the known
M>>> malicious mailers/domains, in a regular filter?

DH> Aside from the selective download Spam and virus txt file, my signal
DH> file is upgraded continuously and stored in my brain.

Continuous maintenance ... work.

Manually scanning all incoming mail with the dispatcher ... more work.

--
 -= allie_M =- | List Moderator
PGPKeys: http://www.ac-martin.com/pgpkeys.html