Vishal Nakra wrote:
> Poco's interface is beautiful. Outright winner in the usability
> shootouts in my opinion. Its more powerful features are often a match
> for TB's, and are more easily used.

I downloaded PocoMail this evening and have been playing around with it.
I agree wholeheartedly on your comments above. The usability
improvements that Poco offers are significant. There are some things
that I found right away to "just make more sense."

I had always thought that the visual aspects of a mail client were
unimportant.  And back when I last looked at other clients, many reviews
said Eudora had the nicest interface - and I hated it.  But Poco does
look nice.  And it's skinnable - which seems silly to me, but I have
thought that about skins before.  And with some of the skinnable apps I
have, I end up finding a few skins that are simple, clean and "toned
down" and I find it's a nice touch.

> The HTML sanitizing features are
> another part that is impressive from a security standpoint. TB's HTML
> capability is better left unspoken about, since the many threads on
> this list will have shown you how far it has to go yet. Poco's is
> polished, though I didn't use it much either.

I'm a big advocate of NOT using HTML, so for me, this really isn't a
negative for TB. I just want an e-mail client that allows me to turn it
all off, and for the rare occasions that I need to view an HTML message
- and easy method for doing so (both Poco and TB have this).

> I played with Poco a few months ago, but resisted changing because I
> hadn't fully experimented with TB's very powerful macros and templates.

I don't know if there is ever a good time to go through the painful
process of switching.  I want to give Poco a fair shot and spend some
time with it, but learning a new program is time-consuming.  My initial
impression, though, is that there are some features that I consider
important that Poco has - and are easy to use/set-up.

> I didn't want to give up on TB without doing that. TB's templates are
> better, but then Poco has its own scripting language that could do
> wonders for you if you know how to use it well.

I didn't even want to consider another e-mail client that did not allow
at least some basic address book templates.  I didn't think Poco had
them, but they're there. I have not delved into the scripting
capabilities of Poco yet.

> TB has other advantages.
> Speed, for one. You'll quickly notice that Poco is pretty slow at
> downloading lots of mail. This won't be a problem if you don't receive a
> lot, but if you plan on subscribing to heavy-traffic mailing lists, be
> prepared to wait a lot. I used version 3, though, and the mailing lists
> had posts after that on how the speed was improved significantly in the
> later betas. My speed comment may be out of date now. Poco also tended
> to crash somewhat more than TB, and the user forums reveal other bugs
> that people weren't happy about.

TB is definitely fast.  That's been one of its biggest assets for years.
I can't tell yet how much slower Poco is, but it doesn't seem to be a
problem.  It's definitely not as fast as The Bat, though.  I'm not sure
if that is such a problem if I'm checking mail regularly throughout the
day (unless its REALLY slow....)

Can't say anything about crashing.  TB has been pretty stable for me for
a long time.

> Since there's only one developer for Poco, that's understandable.
> (Hats off to the guy for the singlehanded effort he's pulled off).

Honestly, I think The Bat would be dead in the water were it not for
this list.  That's my opinion and could very well be completely wrong.
But I find the community that is involved with a product is often just
as (or more) important that the developer(s).

People here have been very helpful and friendly.  I don't know how the
Poco forums are, but they are active.

The problem, though, is that some issues that I may deem critical - if
they aren't important to the list, they might just go unnoticed.  I know
that's very self-serving, but at the end of the day, I purchased The Bat
for me to use.  There have been a few issues with TB that I just can't
comprehend.  They go beyond idiosyncrasies.

> I don't like several things about TB - the HTML rendering, attachment
> handing and user interface primarily. But ultimately, I stuck with it
> because it was just plain too much bother to switch, with all the
> address book and other incompatibilities.

It's interesting to see what people will go through to keep from
changing. I'm convinced that a few of the "expert users" here would
probably drop The Bat were it not for the hassle of switching, and their
know-how and willingness to concoct elaborate work-arounds to problems
the software itself should address.

I think for me, the timing is right.  I was irritated about The Bat's
handling of the Memo field (and not being able to change the Subject
line), and then experienced some weird, unexplainable behavior with
attachments.  I didn't get the answers I wanted and then there was a
Poco vs. The Bat thread....  So I started looking.

I may end up staying with The Bat.  Who knows.  But I would like to give
Poco a good trial period and see if it will better meet my needs.  I
know there is no perfect app out there.  It about finding one that suits
my needs best.  But that touches on some deeper issues, I believe.  The
available functionality of an app I like affects my needs.  I don't like
to admit that, but it's true.  There are things about The Bat that I've
hated for years, but I like it, so I've gradually "needed" those things
less.  Likewise, some of the more advanced features of TB turned into
"necessary features" for me.

Just my rambling thoughts.... ;)

--
 Ken Green
 Using The Bat! v1.62r on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4