Jonathan Angliss wrote:
> You'll probably find there is a safety net in the uninstall that says
> not to delete the folder if there is non-installed items in it.  This
> means that your mail accounts, mail data, personal options etc are safe
> and protected by the install script.  If you go to where you installed
> TheBat, you should see a few folders left over, and a couple of files.
> If you don't need them, remove them.

If that is the case, the error messages I received didn't even hint at
that explanation.  No message about protecting anything.  Just what I
posted.  Why something as simple and basic as an uninstall has to be so
esoteric and cryptic is just bad usability. Come on...

You reply indicates that an uninstall was started (" you should see a
few folders left over, and a couple of files") but nothing began.  I
never got past those error boxes.

Unfortunately, I cannot test this because I am in the process of a
complete manual delete of all things Bat.  I deleted all program files
and mail files (made a zip backup first), then proceeded to go through
the registry and look for "bat" entries to delete.  I'm still working on
that....

Do you know how many registry entries have "bat" in them? Adobe Acrobat
alone consists of about 50-60 entries, not to mention .bat files, etc. I
tried searching on RitLabs first but that turned up one entry.

God, do I have a headache!

> However, for the upgrade path, you really didn't need to uninstall the
> previous version.  It is quite safe to just install the 2.x series over
> the top of the 1.x series, though you should note you'll need a new
> registration key if you haven't already got one.  All the appropriate
> files are upgraded by TB when it runs that way.

What about installing 2.x over 2.x?  This was my laptop, which I had
running first CE, then beta 40.  Part of the reason I wanted a clean
install was because of the corrupt folder problems I was having
(messages not displaying).  I know it's a longshot, but I thought a
clean install might be nice...... :(

I was also wondering (and would appreciate any advice) the best way to
restore accounts without going through the IMAP convert to POP during
the 1.62 upgrade to 2.x - and whether that's worth the hassle.

I thought I might create fresh new IMAP accounts, then copy and paste
the message base.  Can I do that?  Will that invite more problems that
trying to do a Restore?

Also, I could conceivably do a restore on my laptop to 1.62r and convert
all accounts to POP, then upgrade.  At that point, create my IMAP
accounts and just copy messages from the POP folder equivalents...

am i going insane...?

--
 Ken Green
 Using The Bat! v1.62r on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4