Hello Terry,

T> That's the same question I had. As I have SpamAssassin on the mail
T> server, most of my spam gets caught and filtered that way, but I was
T> hoping that this would catch the one or two that slip by every week.

If SpamAssassin on your mail server is preventing spam mails from
getting to your copy of The Bat!, then you should really disable it.

Having two spam filters is not actually a good idea in most cases. If
one deletes a spam or otherwise stops it from being seen by the other
filter, then the other filter cannot evaluate it. Worse, if it if a
statistical filter - a bayesian one like bayesit - then that filter
will not learn about the spam's content and be able to update its
filtering.

The only exception for this that I can think of is the way The Bat!
implements its plug-in architecture - which allows multiple filters,
all of which report a score. You can then choose to act on the lowest
(minimal) or highest (maximal) amongst the results, or to use an
average from all filters. (See the anti-spam plugin filters preference
page for details - it's not obvious at first!)
This multi-plugin capability means that The Bat! would decide what to
do after all filters have had a chance to look at the mail and report
their findings. It also means that marking mail as junk would cause it
to be analysed by multiple filters, improving the detection by all
filters in the future.

However, at the moment, I'm only aware of one free filter plugin for
spam - bayesit - so this very nice feature of The Bat! goes unused as
yet. Hopefully you can now see why the plugin architecture is so
valuable, though.

SpamAssassin should at most be marking suspected spam with some kind
of subject alteration or header, and then you should let bayesit candle
it as normal. If you're filtering on modifications made by
SpamAssassin and not marking the filtered mails as junk for bayesit,
it will never learn.

To be honest, because of this I would tend to say that you should run
only one anti-spam precaution - unless additional ones are also
plug-ins for The Bat!. Anything else risks not correctly training the
bayesit plugin.

Of course, this could also be a failing in a beta of The Bat! - in
which case, aren't you on the wrong mailing list? ;-)

 Philip                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! v2.02.3 CE on Windows 2000 5.0 Build  2195
Service Pack 4