Hello Stefan,

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:30:00 +0200 GMT (26/01/2004, 14:30 +0700 GMT),
Stefan Tanurkov wrote:

> The behaviour you propose cause more problems because some systems
> (especially those functioning in the US and Canada) do not know anything
> about character sets other than us-ascii (and ISO, if one is lucky)
> and that caused problem with message processing and the recipient may
> not get the message.

Hm. If he does use a high ASCII character, the encoding will not be
changed by TB.

> In fact, at the early age TB! was functioning "your" way (i.e. it was
> setting character set even though there were no characters from that
> CS in the message at all), but we changed it to the current behaviour
> after cases caused by systems described above...

Oh, but if the recipient cannot receive 8-bit character encoded
messages, how would he write in kyrillic and get replies? And why
would the sender explicitely choose 8-bit? If the recipinet cannot
receive 8-bit, there is a reason not to send him message thus encoded;
if if he does, what point is there in changing it? I mean, it is
between sender and recipient.

> So, basically, there is no problem on our side to assign non-ASCII
> character set for messages with only 7-bits characters, but this may
> be troublesome - this is why we don't want to do that :-)

What you do is change the encoding despite the sender's explicit wish.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Apple - Typically a device to seduce men, usually equipped with a
display screen.

under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using a Pentium P4 1.7 GHz, 256MB RAM