I've just gone through a period of conflict between the new
version of Vet anti-virus (the Australian program which is called
eTrust in the US and owned by Computer Associates) and POPFile
and TheBat.

I use POPFile (the Windows .exe version v0.20.1) to identify and
sort spam. To continue with this I have had to switch off email
scanning in the new v.10.60 of Vet as otherwise the call to
POPfile from my email program just hangs.

Similarly, after Vet found some infected MyDoom signatures within
POPFile message files, I was unable to open the POPFile user
interface (via Internet Explorer at the local address of
127.0.0.1) until I deleted all the files in the messages
subfolder of POPFile and then rebooted.

So my choice appears to be:

1. Continue with POPFile and switch off email virus scanning
within Vet (which would still catch the saving of a virus
ladened file from TheBat)

2. Find some other way of sorting spam which will not hit the
same conflicts.

It seems that both in POPfile and in the email program, attachments are
fully contained within the message files.

It seems to be a change within Vet that email scanning is now
handled by a module called ISafe which I believe is also a
separate program.

I should add that I was initially confused when ZoneAlarm popped
up a warning that a program called ISafe was attempting to access
the Internet, but I did then find a kind of entry in the Vet help
file -- or not so much an entry as a non entry, a heading for
IServ with a note that text should be added.

Anyone else using a similar combination: TheBat, POPFile, Vet (or
one of the other CA anti-virus programs), ZoneAlarm?

--
Gordon Woolf
The Worsley Press