On Monday, February 2, 2004, 1:27:45 PM, Miles Johnson wrote:

MJ> Deborah did you, yourself READ that newsletter and the one(s) that
MJ> addressed this "from an unknown name & address" issue?

Yes, I did.

MJ> What Langa did was just an experiment, and a very important one.
MJ> Yes, the results are scary, but they that's not his doing, it's
MJ> merely a snapshot of what's going on right now.

That's where I disagree. First, the headline didn't accurately reflect
the claims in the article. Secondly, the claims weren't borne out by
the stats - if he didn't get replies from 40%, that doesn't mean that
40% of his emails weren't received. At best, it says that 20% weren't
received, & that he didn't receive 20% of the replies. (We could get
further into more complicated statistical analysis, that's just the
first blow.) Third, he didn't accept replies - people actually had to
forward them to a certain address. Given how good most people are at
following instructions, I figure a good lot of people didn't do what
he asked. That proves nothing about email, it only speaks to people's
ability to read & do what they're asked.

MJ> People can argue over the percentages all they want, but I can
MJ> confirm that more and more of my email does NOT get delivered.

I've not noticed much email go astray at all - I had trouble getting
an email to two people during the last bout of viruses, but my emails
to both bounced. I've not had even a single episode of someone saying
"I didn't get that email from you" or of me not getting an email
someone sent to me - and I get thousands of emails a week. If a full
40% of emails really didn't get to the recipient, nobody would be
using email at all, it would simply be too unreliable. If your phone
only called the number you dialled on 6/10 occasions, would you ever
bother to phone anyone?

MJ> And it doesn't matter what software you use. TB is a lot better
MJ> than many others,

It does matter what ISP you use though - many of them have very stupid
rules about what they'll allow through. AOL springs to mind <G>

MJ> but we are facing a very, very serious problem here with BOTH the
MJ> spammers and those idiotic "challenge-based" solutions.

Yes, they are idiotic, & really only suitable for people who don't
actually want to get any email at all. Not sure who they'd be LOL. But
my beef with Langa is that his claims just don't hold water - see the
number of people on his forum who, when they found out what his emails
said, dug them out of their spam-traps. As one of the participants
there said, what he's proved is that 60% of people will open an email
with a generic subject-line, from a person they've never heard of -
now *that's* scary.

MJ> But this is getting a bit OT, isn't it?

Yep. Shall we move to TBOT?

--