[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> @ 21-Apr-2004 5:32:46 AM
"Incremental backups" <mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I assume you are talking about the built-in backup function...

> I've always used complete backups. Partly because I don't understand
> how incremental backups work. If I work up 50 incremental backups
> and want to restore them all, is this process as tedious as I fear -
> that is, done one by one ?
You can make either incremental or differential backups with The Bat!.
First, you must make a full backup. Then, you can make an incremental
backup based on that backup file each time. That would be an
incremental backup. If you base you backup of the last non-full
backup, up make a differential backup.

When you want to restore, you can select all of your backup files at
once (if you are using the differential method) or the full backup and
the latest partial backup (if you are using the incremental method)
and restore everything at once. The Bat! will figure out the right
order.

> Or can it be automatized somehow ?
There is a BAT file somewhere to automate it (using the Windows Task
Scheduler) See mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] on TBOT.

> Do they have any advantages apart from the obvious gain in time of
> execution?
Partial backups take a fraction of the time to preform and require far
less space. Also, if you have multiple backup files, you can restore
to any point in time, not just to the last backup.

--
Chris - Nun mi Esperanton lernas.
Quoting when replying to this message is good for your karma.

Using The Bat! v2.10.01 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

In an office: WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY
PLEASE BRING IT BACK OR FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN