Hello Thomas,

On Friday, May 21, 2004, at 8:39:32 AM, I received a message,
mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED],
in which you wrote:

(Text not relevant to my reply may have been snipped.)

> I'll take you didn't delete the messages by yourself. Did you ever
> read them and did they go straight from download to trash, no stop at
> Inbox?

These were messages that I had read. They did have any filter
associated with them. I did have the Inbox set to Purge and Compress
with some fairly high message limits.

I had closed The Bat! and reopened it in the morning when I woke up my
computer. All Read messages in the Inbox were gone. There had been perhaps
2 dozen Read messages in the Inbox, representing many different
senders.

This phenomenon of messages disappearing had happened at least once
before recently. But I am sure it didn't affect all my Read messages.

SR>> I opened the Inbox messages.tbb file with a text editor and tried to
SR>> find a few of the missing messages. They weren't there.

> Hm. TB will download all mails into the Inbox first, from where they
> will be moved to the destination folder, if a filter applies. Moving
> means that it will be copied into that message.tbb file and makred
> "deleted" in the origin folder, in this case Inbox. That means, it is
> still in there but not displayed, until such time that you compress.

> Do you purge & compress on exit? If so, turn that off for now, at
> least the messages will still be there.

As noted, the Inbox was set to purge and compress. That has been
turned off.

>>> Is the file messages.tbb still on her HD?

SR>> I think so. I did have her rebuild the index and also Browse Deleted
SR>> Messages. No luck with either.

> Copy the message.tbb (without the index file .tbi) to another dolder,
> and do this with a file manager while TB is closed. The messages from
> the destiantion folder will be overwritten, so maybe you want to
> rename that file to messages.tb2.

> Open TB and see whether the messages are in the folder that now has
> the copied message.tbb. If you don't see  anything, try "browse
> deleted".

In her case, I think it is too late to try this remedy. Noted for
future reference, though. Thanks.

I am going to check her settings and turn off purging and compressing
for now.

SR>> I wonder how many have reported this problem. I suspect a massive bug
SR>> related to the filter routines.

> It hasn't been reported as far as I know, and I think you have a stray
> filter. We'll get to that when we see whether my theory works. If you
> are not compressing, I'm on the wrong track.

I should pare down my filters. Many are obsolete. I do use Read
message filters more than any other.

--
Stan Robins
Mendota Heights, MN

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Using The Bat, 2.10.01
www.ritlabs.com

"Have you ever noticed what golf spells backwards?"
-- Al Boliska