Hello Philip,

PS> The most common anti-spam plugin for The Bat! (BayesIt) primarily uses
PS> a statistical analysis of the email - it looks for words that are
PS> common to spam, but not to legitimate email.

PS> In your example, the words "all for nothing" are perhaps important -
PS> if you don't get legitimate emails regularly that contain them, then
PS> they'll get assigned a greater weight of spamminess.
PS> The actual spamminess score of the whole email is calculated by
PS> looking at how many words in the mail are common spam words, and how
PS> many aren't - notice how many spams are very short? They'll score
PS> highly. Whereas that legitimate email from a cable TV company will be
PS> long - it'll have lots of details, some boilerplate legal stuff, and
PS> so forth. So the email as a whole scores much lower.

I was using the menu items for marking junk. But so far it hadn't had
a clear effect. It moved the messages I was on to a Junk mail folder.
But it did not act on later mail.

How can you tell what the score was given to an e-mail?

Let's say I go to the Bat Preferences/ Anti-Spam.  At the top, it says
Anti-Spam plugins. And in the white box, it says BayesIt! Does this
mean it is currently doing spam processing?

If I click F1 now,
it says:
"The topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an
updated Help file."

Now, if I move along, and manage to click Configure, I get another
menu of buttons. The top button seems to be asking me what language I
would like to use. Now, I guess that is very friendly. Although, spam
seems to be multi-national, doesn't it? And it doesn't matter whose
inbox it flies into, or what country they may live. It is the same
class of a thing in any case. Now, If I try this button here, I get a
screen and it says I can pick a language from a list. But there does
not seem to be a list from which a selection can be made. Is this the
same for you?

PS> Not necessarily. You can use systems like POPFile with The Bat!, but
PS> personally I don't see much value in doing so. Filters that sit in
PS> front of mail clients (like POPFile) take longer to train and are much
PS> less likely to build up a good base of statistics that show what your

Is the base of statistics visible to the user?

 Adam