Sunday, June 6, 2004, Allie Martin wrote:

U>> In that case the person who gets the table can do something that is
U>> _much_ better: (S)he can tell the sender that doing tables like that
U>> isn't necessarily a good thing and show him or her a better alternative.

> .. the same can apply for the emoticon issue. In fact the emoticon
> issue is more easily solved.

I have tried to figure it out, please tell.
The best I could come up with that don't involve any change in how TB
works as of 2.11.02 would be to add a footnote "If you are using TB and
see emoticons, please take the following steps". IMO that is simply not
acceptable, by doing so I am implying to the receiver that "if you are
not using TB you are a wrong-doer".

> You cannot influence how your messages will be rendered by the
> receiving client. That's up to the client and the users settings.

Which could lead to some very unfortunate misunderstandings that isn't
easily resolved even by reading the source of the e-mail.

> You can minimize problems but you can't totally eliminate them.

I can check and I can re-check, yes, but that's about all there is. It
would be nice if the program gave me some help with this, though. For
example, there could be a spellcheck-like function that looked for
smilies.

<snip>

> It can be disabled permanently or via a toggle switch (right click in
> the viewer and select 'Smileys'). If the user finds an emoticon
> strangely placed, as I do at times, (s)he simply toggles off the
> smileys. I've done this for a few messages already.

There's another thing that could be helpful... If you could attach (in
lack of any better words) the toggle to the address book. That way I
could tell you that I might very well send meaningful text that easily
could be shown as emoticons.

--
Urban

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe
impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the
Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why,
sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before
breakfast."