On Wed 9 June 2004, 18:13:09 +1000, Roelof Otten wrote:
> You could use another AB field than the nickname, as the nickname is
> used as handle too. If you don't use the NamePrefix ('Personal' tab)
> you could use that to store nicknames, then you'd use:
> %ABToNamePrefix="%ToFName"

Here is another solution.

I have started to use the memo field for indicating lots of things about
particular individuals. I use it to indicate particular signatures that
I need to use for particular individuals (for work purposes). I use it to
automatically set read and/or delivery receipts for particular
individuals, and I have been helping Cyrille to use it to identify the
language template that should be used for a particular individual.

You can use the same memo field to carry out one or more of these
functions. The convention I use it to have a separate line in the memo
field for each of these. The line takes the form (without the quotes):
"attribute: value"

For instance as I use it, an individuals memo field may look like this:

receipts: read delivery
sig: consultant
aka: Jules

which would tell my templates to set both delivery and read receipts, use
the signature defined in my sig_consultant QT and use Jules as the
person's nickname.

In particular, you can address the person correctly using the following
QT

---- [ To_Name QT ]
%_To_NN="%SetPattRegexp='(?im)^aka:\s*(.*?)$'%RegExpMatch='%ABToMemo'"%-
%If:'%_To_NN'<>''%-
:'%_To_Name="%_To_NN"'%-
:'%_To_Name="%Capital(%ABToFirstName=^%ToFName^)"'%-
---- [ End To_Name QT ]

Then start your message template with
%QInclude(To_Name)

This will use the nickname defined a the line of the form (without quotes)
"aka: nickname"
anywhere in the person's memo field. If there is no such line, it will
use the person's first name from their address book entry, and if that
doesn't exist, it will use the first name from their email address.

--
Robin Anson
Using The Bat! v2.11.02 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1