Hello Allie,

AM> Tony, [T] wrote:

>> Now you are mainly talking about spam I think? I tackle spam by
>> other means.

AM> The let them come approach?
Not really.
When I expressed my wish for HTML rendering it surely wasn't for
opening spam.
K9 scans my e-mail for spam even before it enters my e-mail client.
So that effectively stops the valid e-mail checking.

AM> How about approaching it from a broader
AM> POV. If the spammers have less addresses to spam, then they'll likely
AM> use less Internet bandwidth sending spam. The bandwidth being used by
AM> spammers is staggering.
I heard firgures of 25%

AM> It's the same sortof reasoning as the one you gave for viruses. We
AM> have a responsibility not only to our systems, but to not send the
AM> viruses to other systems.
You got me there! :)
But see above.

>> And I have my reasons to believe that they don't bother checking who
>> clicks.

AM> They do. It's one of their means of finding addresses to add to their
AM> golden lists. At times, all that is fetched is a pixel of data. You
AM> don't even see it in the message.

I've even got some spam for buying a CD with 1 miljon verified
addresses.
That backups your claim.  OTOH however spammers very often seem so
mindless.
Why sending spam for cheap US dentist insurance to European adresses?
And of course  this funny example found on a anti-spam plugin page
"Spammers do not prune their mailing lists based on "bounce" messages.
We know of people that reactivated email addresses and even entire domains that have
been inactive
(and therefore bounced every message sent to them) for years,
and yet literally within minutes of being reactivated, new spam arrived.
Indeed, many spammers are known to send spam to randomly-generated e-mail addresses in
hopes of guessing valid addresses;
practically every one of these messages results in a bounce, yet
spammers continue the practice."

But as said above my aim is to delete the spam before it reaches my
inbox with 99.8% success.
So the e-mail checking is effectively stopped.
<.....>

>> Understood. Unfortunately none of them open in my browser.
>> The browser opens but the URL field stays empty; so nothing loads.
>> Saving the HTML to file 1st does work. But is not very elegant.

AM> Hmmm. This shouldn't be the case. It should open and I confirm your
AM> problem. Seems like a bug. Can anyone else confirm this. I'll bring it
AM> up on TBBETA.

I have a good guess what the reason is.
I use GreenBrowser as a shell for IE because of it's lightweight
tabbed approach.
GreenBrowser doesn't fully support sending info between applications
sometimes. (I'm told)
TB! doesn't open a GreenBrowser window but a IE window.
But maybe it has to do with this behaviour because Greenbrowser is set
as my default browser.
Can I explicitly tell TB! to use a certain browser to render a page?

--
Best regards, Tony

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy
is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity.