Hello Marten & everyone else,

on 16-Jan-2005 at 16:36 you wrote:

> Anyone using OnSpeed with The Bat!?
> Any problems?

If I understand their concept correctly its some sort of a "compressing
proxy". They're retrieving the page for you with (their) fast connection,
compress the contents and send you the compressed version to your (slow)
connection, and the content will be decompressed locally - is that correct
so far?

If it is... how would this work for email? You'd have to retrieve your mail
thru the OnSpeed servers. I certainly wouldn't want to do that, they'd have
to log in to *my* mailbox and retrieve the data for me and compress it.

And, while it may work for normal web pages, graphics and other already
compressed data won't benefit a freaking lot from this.

If you're on a modem dialup line, the modem will use hardware compression
(called "v.42bis") anyway (but this is only a run-length compression
algorhythm, and thus it will not be as efficient as anything in .zip style
compression, of course).

If you're on an ISDN line, many internet providers already provide access
with the Windows softcompression technique.

I'd like to see a few independent tests OnThis. :-)

 Alexander (http://www.neurowerx.de - ICQ 238153981)

Progress isn't always for the best. Smoke signals never got an Indian
out of bed at 3:AM to answer a wrong number. -- Mack McGinnis