Hello Group

On Friday, April 8, 2005, 9:40:04 AM, Tony wrote:

> Hello [EMAIL PROTECTED],

>   A reminder of what [EMAIL PROTECTED] on TBUDL typed on:
>   08 April 2005 at 10:16:00 GMT +0200

zzc>> I don't know this command at all.  Is this available in the DOS mode in
zzc>> WinXP-Home?  And does the fixmbr works on JUST one particular drive at
zzc>> a time?  Or the root of the physical disk?  I just want to make sure
zzc>> that if fixmbr does work, that it doesn't mess up my other partitions.

>  It is a dos command and you need to boot direct into dos. It will fix a
>  trashed boot block on your main bootable drive ie c:\.

>  You did ask about it in your original post but I doubt it'll help fix your
>  L partition. It "shouldn't" hurt anything if you try it but don't take my
>  word for it.

I think there may be a little confusion here.

The original command Tony enquired about was the DOS fdisk /mbr which
re-writes the Master Boot Record, and you would need to boot from a
DOS floppy or CD to use it.

The other command - fixmbr - is available from the XP recovery console
(I don't know if this is available in XP Home) but effectively does
the same job, i.e. re-writes the Master Boot Record.

I believe the MBR is a short piece of code pointing to the OS the PC
is to boot from. In any event I don't think it will fix Tony's
problem. I have used it a couple of times, usually after playing with
Linux as it seems to be the only way to blow LILO away. It is also
useful after using a boot menu manager such as System Commander when
you need to uninstall it.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
:Jeff_Gaines: