   ***^\     ."_)~~
 ~( __ _"o   Was another beautiful day, Fri, 29 Apr 2005,
   @  @      at 14:19:53 +0200, when Stephane Bouvard [ML] wrote:

> In Belgium, we have now an electronic identity card...  this card
> include a certificate allowing us to digitaly sign a document/email...

> The problem is : this certificate is used to authenticate our name,
> not a "temporary" or a specific email address...  it means that this
> certificate does not mention any email address...

> Consequence, when i try to sign a mail with The Bat! Pro, it tell
> me that there isn't any certificate for my email address (i think that
> The Bat only try to find a certificate with my email address, and
> refuse to use a certificate not mentionning it )...  but i do not find
> how i can ask it to use my "address-less" certificate...

> With Microsoft Outlook, i need to manualy change a registry key to
> allow it :
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\11.0\Outlook\Security\SupressNameChecks

> Is it possible with The Bat ! ?  Or did i need to forget TB and use Outlook ?

Hmm...that's problem with The Bat (btw, you can't change anything in
this regard in TB's registry entry), and as I know it's not solved in
any way. You might cheat though TB by associating a fake/"blank" address
to your nick/name (like giving the address in a form -- literally --
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ), but again it will be, via TB, associated only
with the corresponding account, which hence must be tied to the fake
address, and a fake address you cannot use for any correspondency.

There are some other limitations as to PGP keys used in TB, for
instance, when you want to sign a message, you'll be offered *only*
those keys with the address corresponding to the actual account (while
in some earlier versions you could freely use *any* key with any address
associated). Etc. There are some other...peculiarities too, but let's
them put aside in the moment, it's already pretty messy situation with
some *really* important and essential features, being consistently
neglected, in the strange favour of definitely nonessential ones.

A bearable "workaround" would be perhaps that authors get these,
actually nonsensical, and absolutely unnecessary, limitations --
"unblocked", allowing this way the user to choose *any* PGP
key/certificate s/he wants to use (with or without address!), since TB
does not have and "rights" actually to "think" and "decide" instead the
user which key will be used and in a what way: it is entirely and
strictly the matter of the user him/herself, and of the external program
(PGP/GPG/etc) s/he uses, in the way s/he wants to use it. TB is here
just an "intermediary" and shouldn't in any way interfere with something
it's not allowed or even appropriate to interfere with.

That is, I should be able, for instance, to sign a message with key 1,
then to encrypt it with a key 2 and to send it using account with
address corresponding to a key 3. (-:

That's my *right* to do with my keys what *I* want and what *I* find
appropriate. Not what some "software" tells me what is "good" "for me".
It is nonsensical. (-:

These "associations" of keys/certificates with accounts/addresses etc.
should be dismissed. So, when a User wants to sign/encrypt a message,
then *all* keys/certificates on disposal should be offered, in *any*
account.

Isn't that obvious? (-:

- --
Mica
PGP keys nestled at: http://bardo.port5.com/pgpkeys/
[Earth LOG: 240 day(s) since v3.0 unleashing]
OSs: Windows 98 SE Micro Lite Professional IVa Enterprise Millennium
     with nestled ZipSlack(tm) 9.1, and, for TB sometimes, Gentoo
     and Vector via Wine...
 ~~~ For PM please use my full address as it is *exactly* given in my
                     "From|Reply To" field(s). ~~~